Anyone else out there terrified by orange?? I sure am, but this weekend I found myself drawn to it – I was having coffee with my sister, and I wanted to feel happy and bright to celebrate. We hadn’t seen each other in weeks! I found myself reaching for this shirt and blazer thinking, ‘Wait, what if I tried these two pieces together? Can I pull this off? Will I look like a giant persimmon?! (is that a bad thing?!)’ But I gave it a chance – and loved it. In fact, I walked a little taller on my way to our coffee date!
I did a little research, and no wonder I’ve been drawn to orange. The color represents enthusiasm, fascination, happiness, creativity, determination, attraction, success, encouragement, and stimulation. This is everything I’m feeling about my goals in 2017! Plus, orange is a warm color, so it makes you think of heat when you see it. In the dead of winter (okay, Georgia is not that cold but it’s been in the teens the last couple days), it brought a little warmth. Seriously, color is powerful!
Which brings me to my challenge for you, Dear Reader: try wearing a color that makes you uncomfortable. It’s a new year. Why not spice up your perspective by choosing a color that represents what you’re feeling that day?! According to Color Wheel Pro, here is what your basic colors symbolize:
- Red: energy, war, danger, strength, power, determination as well as passion, desire, and love
- Orange: enthusiasm, fascination, happiness, creativity, determination, attraction, success, encouragement, and stimulation
- Yellow: joy, happiness, intellect, and energy
- Green: growth, harmony, freshness, and fertility. Green has strong emotional correspondence with safety. Dark green is also commonly associated with money (HELLO?!?! money!!)
- Blue: trust, loyalty, wisdom, confidence, intelligence, faith, truth, and heaven
- Purple: power, nobility, luxury, and ambition
- Black: power, elegance, formality, death, evil, and mystery
- White: light, goodness, innocence, purity, and virginity. It is considered to be the color of perfection (perfection?!?!?!)
What are your favorite power colors? I want to hear from you!