TGIF everybody! It is December 15th – 10 days until Christmas – and wowee I can’t believe we are already here. If you’re one of those people who hasn’t started your shopping yet or someone who prefers gifting experiences rather than things, this post is for you!
Have you ever considered a staycation? It is such a fun way to see your own city in a whole new light and to feel like you’re getting away without the expense of plane tickets or the anxiety of leaving life behind during a busy time of year.
Evan and I recently took a little staycation to the Hotel Indigo in Downtown Atlanta and had such a great time. We saw a few sites, went out on a dinner date, and slept in the next day. The service at Hotel Indigo was awesome, too. Everyone was friendly, attentive and accommodating – and boy is their lobby gorgeous. We loved our stay!
The key to a successful staycation is definitely a little advanced planning. If you are gifting this experience, here are some extra things you can do to make your honey feel like this gift is really special:
- Ask for a bottle of wine or champagne to be waiting for you in the room when you arrive to toast your weekend ‘away’.
- Arrange tickets for a show or fun activity. We took in some of the art in Downtown Atlanta – I had no idea there were so many cool sculptures! We also rode the Skyview Ferris Wheel for kicks! I’m afraid of heights but the cars are enclosed so it’s way less scary (and there’s wine).
- Make a dinner reservation at a restaurant you’ve both been wanting to try in a fun neighborhood. We chose The Optimist in West Midtown. They have amazing seafood. Pro-tip: if you sit at the seafood bar, the chefs will give you tastes of things!
- Book a pet or babysitter in advance. It was easier to enjoy ourselves when we were out knowing we didn’t have to run home to walk Bernie or feed Lola!
- Ask the hotel if they’ll give you a key card to wrap up in a box so there is something to open under the tree.
- Snap a few pics to commemorate the trip when you do it! I chose a pic on the Jackson Street Bridge – the famous overlook you’ll see in the Walking Dead.
If you do decide to brave the shopping malls this weekend, good luck! If you’re avoiding them like the plague, consider this experience gift idea instead! Have a great weekend everyone!
Thank you to Hotel Indigo Downtown Atlanta for hosting our staycation.