Happy March you gals! It is officially time to transition your wardrobe to spring if you can believe it. Not to rub it in for those of you still buried under snowdrifts and puffy coats right now, but the weather is starting to turn here in the south – and I’m so ready!
When we’re in that weird post-winter/pre-spring time, it can be kinda tough to figure out which items to wear. You want to start shopping spring items and trends, but you aren’t quite ready to abandon your fabulous winter coats and sweaters. Plus, the weather isn’t quite sure what it wants to do so one day it’s warm and another it’s cold. Talk about #ootd identity crisis over here!
SPRING TRANSITION OUTFIT IDEAS
I have two looks for you today to show you how to take your wardrobe from winter season to spring season and some tips for how to do it.
- Pull out your spring gear and start to slowly fold it into your winter clothes: If you’ve bought colorful sandals, try pairing them with jeans and a blazer on one of those semi-warm days. Or pull out your sailor pants that you’d normally wear with a summer wedge, and pair them with winter boots and a jacket. P.s. wide leg pants are comin’ in hot this season, so I say go for it!
- Identify pieces from fall/winter that you can bring into spring and summer: I’m looking at you my beloved white boots! This trend has staying power, and I think they’ll look adorable with summer dresses and shorts. The good news is that there are white boots on major sale everywhere (I linked a few in the widget below!), so even if you missed out on buying these in winter, you can definitely find some now for less. I’m also still rocking my satin and velvet blazers until it gets a little warmer (this striped one was $9 on the BR sale rack).
- Start stocking up on staples like crisp white tees: Ditch the winter whites for a bright white tee under your jackets and blazers. Come warm weather, you’ll be pairing this wardrobe staple with your florals and ditching the outerwear. My absolute FAVORITE tee that I’m wearing in both these looks is the J.Crew Perfect-Fit T-Shirt. I love it so much I wrote a whole blog post about it and own several white ones and a striped version. Hint – the longer sleeve length is key for covering up arms if you’re insecure about yours (I am). I hate tees with sleeves that are too short!
- Keep your coats on hand just in case there’s a cold snap: Don’t put all your coats away just yet, though! I’ll keep my faux-fur jacket (or my light pink statement coat that I blogged about) around for another month or so until I’m sure we’re ready for lightweight coats.
- Plan what trends and styles you’ll want to incorporate this year and what you’ll be bringing back from last year: I like to keep an eye on trends and plan carefully what I’ll partake in, especially since I’m on a budget this year. I can’t afford to go nuts. Plus, all my super-trendy pieces don’t get much wear after a couple months, so I’d rather be choosy about things that’ll have staying power. I checked in with my favorite stylist and dear friend, Liz Teich of The Brooklyn Stylist, to ask her what was on tap for this season. In her most recent blog post, she kept it simple and easy to follow: purple everything, white boots, a round bag and structured statement earrings. Personally, here’s what I’m thinking:
- I’ll be going all in on purple in every shade – it’s my favorite color! Plus, Pantone’s color of the year is Ultra Violet. You can’t argue with Pantone! I’ll probably look for a lavender accessory (like a bag or scarf) and will double down on purple eye shadows, as well.
- Liz says hoop earrings are back, which is great news since they look great with everything and are so simple to wear.
- She also told me straw everything will be big, so a fabulous straw bag is definitely on my list – maybe a circle-shaped one like she recommends so I can kill two trends with one stone!
What have you gals got your eyes on for spring?? If you’re looking for some cheaper options, Target has some FANTASTIC spring items with their A New Day collection. I spotted a pastel bag, some silver slides and a floral suit that have my name ALL over them.
HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND FRIENDS!
P.s. Do you watch the new Queer Eye? Recognize this background in the striped blazer outfit? It’s the Fab 5 Loft! We live there! Though I’ve never seen them around and am pretty sure they film it somewhere else…
P.p.s. Are any of you traveling for spring break? I am not, unfortunately, but maybe that’s a good thing because I have been on the road WAY too much but anyhoo…if you’re traveling, check out my post on travel style tips!!
All photos by Viva Lux Photography