I’ve had my eye on this crop top from American Apparel for a while, and thought it’s a little more 90s and on-trend than I feel comfortable with, there is something about the print that I loved and needed to wear myself.
WHAT I WORE:
- Floral Crop Top: (American Apparel)
- Black Pleated Flared Skirt: (Banana Republic)
- Black Open-Toed Booties: (Steve Madden)
- Black Wide Leather Belt: (purchased at Second Time Around)
- Orange Handbag: (Kate Spade NY, on super sale!)
- Red Lipstick: (PLA Beauty Lipstick in Iconic)
- Jewelry: (my own)
WHY I WORE IT:
It’s rare that I learn about fashion events in Chicago until after the fact, so when my friend DJ Lani Love invited me to the Glossed & Found x Top Shop event at the Public Hotel in Chicago, I jumped at the chance to see fun fashion and to wear something bright and playful.
- I chose the high-wasted skirt to go with the crop top since I’m not keen to show off my stomach but do love this trend and wanted to adapt it to what I am comfortable with.
- Plus, since the shirt is so bright, I didn’t want the skirt to compete with it at all. Instead, I wanted an almost Audrey Hepburn vibe.
- I chose the belt to hide any sliver of skin that might’ve shown and to match with the matte leather black booties I wanted to wear – I just got them on super-sale for $30 at Steve Madden.
- I grabbed the orange bag as my main accessory and to ground or call back to the colors of the shirt; same with the red lipstick – especially since the rest of the look was all black.
- I chose gold jewelry to match the gold hardware on the bag.
- NEXT TIME I wear this outfit, I’ll try a tighter-fitting high-waisted skirt and maybe some stiletto sandals, just to sexy it up a notch.
HOW TO WEAR IT YOURSELF: